We took a day to explore
some of the sacred, holy, AND famous sites of this area! We visited the Dome of
the Rock and the Western Wall in the same day! These are located in close proximity,
on the ancient Temple Mount. Why? Herod's temple was destroyed in 70 AD, when
the Jews were permanently removed from Israel under the Romans. There were a
lot of other empires that controlled the Holy Land at one time or another, and
the Ottoman empire built the Dome of the Rock on top of temple mount, because
they believe it is the place where Muhammad ascended into heaven. The only
thing left over from the Temple of Herod is the outer retaining wall. The Jews
treat it as sacred, and recognize that it is the closest they can get to the
temple right now. It is a very sacred site for both religions.
This is a picture we took along the way to the Temple Mount. This is the Church of All Nations (bottom), and the Russian Orthodox Church of Mary Magdalene (right). The Garden of Gethsemane is to the left of the Church of All Nations. So many people love and revere Christ, and they all have a stake here in the Holy Land to worship him!
These
are pictures of the Al-Asqa mosque, on the Temple Mount with the Dome. Aren't
those pictures NEAT? The Dome is all reflected in them :) We wanted to go in
and see the inside of the mosque, but we aren't Muslim, so we weren't given
that privilege.
Here it is! The one--the
only--the lovely and timeless DOME OF THE ROCK!! Isn't it beautiful? Look at
all those colors!
Proof that I saw this thing in real life. I got in trouble a little for my excited pose. I was just so excited to see the thing up close that I couldn't contain myself!!
This is one of my
favorite pictures! I love the Dome, but I miss my own temples. I'm so grateful
for the incredible blessing it is to have a temple on the earth! I feel for the
Jews, and it breaks my heart to see how they long for a temple again. We are so
blessed to have MORE than ONE temple, too! The House of the Lord is scattered
all over the earth, and one will eventually be RIGHT HERE IN JERUSALEM!! I'd
take the temple to the left any day :)
I love pictures of cool
buildings with the sun behind them. I love the gold dome, it's so beautiful and
unique!
After visiting the Dome,
we went to the Wall to see the morning prayers and hear the Torah being read.
This is the men's side of the courtyard, for women and men are separated to
worship. All the white clothes are 'taliyt', the prayer shawls that Jewish men
wear. The Wall is the furthest right of this picture.
This is a cool picture because you can see the Jewish men wrapping their
tefllin (phylacteries in the New Testament, the little prayer boxes they wear)
in preparation for their prayers. You can see them on their heads, and the guy
in the middle is wrapping it around his left arm. They wrap the ends of the
strap in their hand in the form of the Hebrew letter "Shin", which
stands for the name of God.
You can see how crowded
it gets as people try to make their way to the Wall to touch it as they pray.
You can see the separation wall for the men and the women. Also, the women
don't pray like the men do, as you can see.
A real live Torah
scroll!! They are kept in these beautiful ornate cases because they are so
precious. One Torah scroll takes like 5 years to complete, because they are
handwritten on real vellum parchment by a highly trained scribe. He has to
purify himself every single time he writes the name of God, and there can't be
any mistakes in any of the letters. Can you see why it takes so long?! Holy
cow. But they are beautiful works of art that last for so long!
I don't know where the
tradition originated, but people write little prayers on paper and stick them
in the Wall to make them come true. Kind of like a wishing well, I think. I
wrote a note to the Lord, asking him to bless my family and loved ones. Putting
it in the Wall is especially neat because Jewish people do not throw writing
away--they bury it in a cemetery because they do not want to
desecrate the thoughts of others by treating them like garbage. This is the
case with ALL writing, even a grocery list. So my little prayer will end up in
a Jewish cemetery outside of town to exist forever :)
Looking for a little crack in the wall in which to stuff my paper, but all the spaces were taken...
So
maybe I stuck it in the hole in the bottom of the stone. Oh well, it's still
the Wall, right? :)
There
are members of the Israeli army wherever we go, but we met some girl soldiers
today! They were our age, too. They explained, and to the best of my
understanding, I think that when people graduate from high school, they serve
in the army for 2 years before they get married or start further education.
THAT says something about Israeli national pride! How amazing to have a love of
country instilled inside of every citizen through their service! Those girls
were so tiny--look, that gun is almost as big as her :)
One thing among the many things I love about this place is that there
are beautiful doorways wherever you go. There are many doors that are simply pieces
of art, and I love looking at them! It makes the city feel like a fairy
tale kingdom. In some ways. The city is also disgusting and dirty, but I'm
grateful for the occasional bright splotches of happiness
on the doors. This one was made out of mosaics! So awesome!
This is one of the
paintings that is in the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. I love it because it is
so old and dark with age, and that's really epic. I also love that the Savior's
body is being dressed by so many people--He died for all mankind, not just His
friends and family members. We all have an opportunity to take part in Christ's
gift for us!
I think this picture is
so cool. The light is shining directly on the face of Christ. Isaiah 60:19:
The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the Lord shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.
The Savior is our light,
and by following Him we can walk the correct path and come back into His
presence!
We went out for lunch, but Michelle and I are trying to save money (to spend on presents later, hehehe), so we ate our lovely home lunch. It wasn't too delicious, compared to the schwarma and pomegranate juice. Oh well :)
Sorry to comment on two posts in a row, but all of the beautiful things you're seeing, as well as the prayers you mentioned reminded me of a film. It's called Samsara, which is a word in Buddhism that means the cycle of death and rebirth. It's a film with only photographs and film clips set to music. I think you would love it. I was reminded of it because of a Muslim Holy Site in it that I thought was the Dome of the Rock... but it's actually something else. Anyway, sorry this isn't super relevant, but I thought I'd share since you may even recognize some of the things in Samsara now. Here's a trailer. They worshipers are at 1:15. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp967YAAdNk
ReplyDeleteOh I'm so excited to watch it! Unfortunately, we don't have access to YouTube here... :/ I will definitely watch it as soon as I can! Thanks, Em :)
ReplyDelete