Pages

Contributors

Sunday, February 17, 2013

JORDAN!!!

Jordan Field Trip, day 1


So this day we just traveled  to Jordan, saw a few sites, and then went to our hotel. We woke up early that morning (REALLY early...) and headed to the Israel/Jordan border in our nice Mercedes-Benz buses. And when we were going through customs, of course there was something wrong with my visa and my passport, and of course they didn’t speak English, and of course there was a huge line behind me. Ha ha. :) Dr. Jackson (sub-director of our center, the cutest man, also happens to be the world's leading expert on the Joseph Smith Translations) was there to help me right away, and we got it all worked out. And then we loaded across the border (which, by the way, we were NOT allowed to speak Hebrew or wear any clothing with Hebrew writing on it cause things are so tense over there) onto these rather dirty and VERY smelly Jordanian buses, and then we drove a mile to the Jordan customs where we went through the exact same process to enter the country. It’s kind of funny that they don’t even want to be close to each other, so they have separate customs and processes to go through. Both customs, however, had fierce soldiers with very large guns. No way was I going to say “bomb” or “shalom” or run across the border :)


 Mount Nebo

This is the mountain from which Moses was able to see the land of Israel, the promised inheritance for the children of Israel. Unfortunately, as we know, they had to wander in the desert for 40 years in order for the people to be pure and righteous enough to enter. The day that we went atop the mountain was smoggy, so we couldn't see much. BUT, apparently on a clear day, you can see the entire country from up here.


I guess one thing that I’ve learned here that is so surprising to me is that everything is so CLOSE. Like, if you’re up on a mountain, you can see it all. It’s only a day or two away if you’re on foot, and only a matter of hours if you’re driving. The dead sea, Jordan, Jerusalem, the Judean Wilderness—they’re all SO CLOSE. So this is what Moses saw when he was up here. The entire land of Israel is laid before your eyes, and the map is a guide to recognize everything that's out there. The Lord promises us great things when we are faithful, always more than we can possibly imagine. Seeing the words "the promised land" or "an inheritance for your seed" on paper is much smaller than standing on top of a mountain and seeing the actual thing. It's a good lesson in eternal perspective. We need to be able to see like God, to look through the words and envision what He has planned for us. 



This is a statue that is obviously representing the brazen serpent that Moses erected to save the children of Israel from the consequences of their own sins. The story is found in Numbers 21:
5) And the people spake against God, and against Moses, Wherefore have ye brought us up out of Egypt to die in the wilderness? for there is no bread, neither is there any water; and our soul loatheth this light bread.
6) And the Lord sent fiery serpents among the people and they bit the people; and much people of Israel died.
7) Therefore the people came to Moses, and said, We have sinned, for we have spoken against the Lord, and against thee; pray unto the Lord, that he take away the serpents from us. And Moses prayed for the people.
8) And the Lord said unto Moses, Make thee a fiery serpent, and set it upon a pole; and it shall come to pass, that every one that is bitten, when he looketh upon it, shall live.
9) And Moses made a serpent of brass, and put it upon a pole, and it came to pass, that if a serpent had bitten any man, when he beheld the serpent of brass, he lived.
 The people complained against the Lord for bringing them out of Egypt and didn't recognize the blessings of manna and freedom. The Lord punished them for this, but there was mercy in his punishment. He provided a way for the Israelites to be healed. This was the real test of their faith, not the punishment. Punishing someone for complaining or sinning or ingratitude only punishes them, it does not always change their faith. The Lord provided a way for the unbelieving to reap their reward, and for those with faith to reap their salvation. Nephi provides an excellent commentary on this, 1 Nephi 17:
40) And he loveth those who will have him to be their God. Behold, he loved our fathers, and he covenanted with them, yea, even Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; and he remembered the covenants which he had made; wherefore, he did bring them out of the land of Egypt.
41)And he did straiten them in the wilderness with his rod; for they hardened their hearts, even as ye have; and the Lord straitened them because of their iniquity. He sent fiery flying serpents among them; and after they were bitten he prepared a way that they might be healed; and the labor which they had to perform was to look; and because of the simpleness of the way, or the easiness of it, there were many who perished. 
Faith is such an interesting thing. It is so easy--the simpleness of the way is clear, and the path is straight. But we are imperfect, and we find it so hard to exercise the tiniest bit of faith. The Lord still provides a way for us to be healed. We know that the brazen serpent in the wilderness is a type of Christ--all we must do is use his Atonement and trust in him, and all our infirmities and sins will be healed. But because of the easiness of the way, there are countless people who refuse to look and who perish in unbelief. It's tragic to me. God loves each and every one of his children equally, whether they look or not, but he provides everyone with the same opportunity to come unto Christ and be healed.

One more thought--unlike the brazen serpent, which had a finite end to its healing properties, the Atonement of Christ is always available. Six years from now, fifty from now, in the next life--the Atonement is always available for us to use and repent and become pure. The eternal salvation is more important than bodily salvation, and so the Lord gives us endless opportunities to look and be healed.

I am sick, I was bit by a serpent!!! What do I do, what do I do?!?!
Oh look! The Lord has provided a way to me to be healed! Look, and believe!!
I looked, I believed, I am healed!!!

Church at Madaba

There is a Byzantine church at Madaba, built to honor Mt Nebo and Moses's visions there. In the original church, a map of the Holy Land during the Byzantine time period (in the form of a mosaic on the floor) was created. Historians have used the remains to reconstruct the Near East, including the Galilee, the Jordan River Valley, the coastal plains, the city of Jerusalem, and Egypt. This is a little piece of it, and I'm standing by the Egypt portion. It's been my lifelong dream to visit Egypt, but we aren't able to go on this trip because of all the crazy things that are happening there. This will be the closest I get to Egypt for a very long while. :)


Some of the mosaic artwork in the church was absolutely beautiful. This is Jesus Christ raising Lazarus from the dead. It was my favorite of the wall mosaics in the church. Christ still performs miracles in our lives :)


The painting on the ceiling behind the altar. (I forget my art history knowledge...is this section of church called the asp?) Look at how beautiful that is. Christ rising triumphant from the tomb, having broken the bands of Death and Hell for all of His brothers and sisters. This is one of the few churches that I've seen that has such a large portion dedicated to the resurrected Christ. I love these beautiful colors and the majesty of the whole thing!


Just a pic outside the church. Go Greek Orthodox :)


This is my dear friend Alyssa. She was one of the first people that I got close to in the first couple of days. She is an INCREDIBLE girl with a lot of talents, and she is the sweetest thing alive. She is so kind and friendly and wonderful and hilarious! I love her!



 We had to drive for 4 lovely hours to our hotel in Petra, and we got in pretty late. This is a pic from one of the rest stops, where I was pretending to die alone in the desert. Yep, this is what Jordan looks like, for the most part. Lovely. Felt like I was back in Utah :)

The hotel like had this welcoming committee that gave us these really cool orange drinks in fancy glasses and  bread to dip in oil while we were all waiting for our keys. And there was a guy there with a huge camera that was snapping picture after picture of us. You would’ve thought that we were the president or something :) We eventually got up to our rooms, which were uber sketch (despite the welcoming committee), where I got to talk to my roommate. Her name is Chloe Robinson, and she is a sweet girl. She’s really cool, likes to longboard, from Cali, is a recent convert, and is our Jerusalem Center DJ! She was really sweet and really open to talk about anything and everything, so I was lucky to get such a great roommate!! We went out on the town that night even though it was raining. After being on that stuffy and beef-jerky smoke smelling bus, the rain was very welcome. We went and looked at a bunch of little shops, and I got a Petra t-shirt that is awesome. 

Petra

Just some historical facts and knowledge about this place: This place is associated with the Edom of the Old Testament, and the Israelites probably passed through this area to get to the promised land. Aaron, brother of Moses, died on Mt. Hor, which is possibly located in the area of Petra. In the 5th centry BC, the Nabataeans moved into this area. Petra became the center of a Roman province called Nabataea, and was later inhabited by Byzantine Christians. 

By 400 BC, the Nabataeans moved into Petra and displaced the older Edomite inhabitants who lived here previous. The Nabataean elive were buried in rock-cut toms with carved facades. An older set of tombs show Persian (stepped) and Egyptian (obelistk) motifs, while a more recent set (the famous Treasury and Monastery) show Greco-Roman influences. 

They told us a story of how Petra was discovered, but it was kind of ambiguous. I'll tell it the best I can, but it's probably terribly inaccurate. There was this guy (I think he was a historian) who was looking for Petra, but it was hidden by the Nabataeans from the outside world, and you couldn't really find it unless you were led there by a special guide. Think "El Dorado City of Gold" and you've got the picture. So anyway, he was out looking for Petra, and he came upon a Nabataean guy. I guess Muslims were allowed to be shown Petra, if they were going up to make a sacrifice? So the guy pretends to be a Muslim, and takes some kind of animal, and follows this Nabataean through the secret way to Petra. And when he finds it, he tells the world. So...not very nice, but we're glad he did, cause Petra is AWESOME.

Okay, yes, blah blah blah, y'all just want to see the pictures. :)

The first couple moments of walking into the park. I was SO EXCITED!!!! Look at this pretty rock. Doesn't it look like the National Parks in Utah? I loves my Utah :)



Moments into the walk, we can already see carvings on the walls. This is a place where a God-idol thing once sat, but it has been weathered by time...oooh, so epic, I get chills. Look at that ancientness. It's SO COOL. Can you feel the epicness and suspense, leading up to this secret and hidden city? I was freaking out. Dreams come true.


This is a little shrine to their god, named Dushara. His little goddess was named Allat. They were portrayed through abstract, so you can see here that the little stone blocks in the bottom of the shrine could represent Dushara and Allat. The bigger one is Dushara, and he has two eyes. Can you see them? :) The people worshiped their gods through burning incense and offering libations. 


These are the remains of an ancient Roman road. Look at those cobblestones--aren't they cool? I walked on a n ancient Roman Road. BTW, this day was FREEZING. It was SO. COLD. I literally could not feel any of my appendages, and I'm pretty sure my hands were close to being frostbit. 


This is a fig tree that is just growing out of the stone. Nature is so cool, guys. It kind of reminded me about Jesus and his little sermon on faith, using a fig tree. St Matthew 21:
17) And he left them, and went out of the city into Bethany; and he lodged there.
18) Now in the morning as he returned into the city, he hungered.
19) And when he saw a fig tree in the way, he came to it, and found nothing thereon, but leaves only, and said unto it, Let no fruit grow on thee henceforward for ever. And presently the fig tree withered away.
20) And when the disciples saw it, they marvelled, saying, How soon is the fig tree withered away!
21) Jesus answered and said unto them, Verily I say unto you, If ye have faith, and doubt not, ye shall not only do this which is done to the fig tree, but also if ye shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; it shall be done.
22) And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
There are two lessons here that I think are important to learn. First, that through faith, we can work mighty miracles, just like Christ. That is pretty well laid out in the verses. We can gain faith through prayer and believing  and we can use that faith to make all our dreams come true :) The second lesson is found in verse 19. I thought it was harsh that Christ withered the tree when he saw that there was no fruit on it, but as I began to think about his subliminal lesson, I can understand better. When Christ comes, we want to have our fruit and our works to show. We do not want to be caught unprepared at his coming, or we will not be exalted with the righteous. The Lord gives us plenty of time to grow, prepare, serve, repent, and show forth our good works, and we want to have them ready when he comes. Just another motivating illustration to be a good and ACTIVE disciple of Christ!!



Michelle and I walking through the crazy slot canyons that led to Petra. No wonder people could never find this place...it was so secret. So secret, so safe. <--adapted LOTR quote. 


Historians think this is where the Nabataeans got married. The man and woman stood in these little slots in the walls, and looked across the canyon to a little carved out idol-platform, and then they were considered married. Really cute :)


More remains of a Roman road. You can see the water puddling and pooling from the rain. Our guide said that these canyons were like natural defense and water collecting systems. When it rained, they'd be all full (well, relatively) of water and nobody could enter them to get to Petra. Flash floods, basically. Also, all the roads would lead to Petra, and the water would run downhill and be collected for use later. Brilliant? These ancient people thought of EVERYTHING!


Ba ha, a rock that is shaped like a fish :) You can see it, right? I am trying to face my fear of fishes and become one with them. Hence the fish face. 




Our first glimpse of the Treasury. It's kind of like the hike to Delicate Arch, in that you're hiking for a long time and you think you're never going to get there, and then you turn a corner and BAM!!! THE TREASURY!!!! Look at this. LOOK AT THIS EPICNESS. I screamed so excitedly when I saw it. I mean, these Nabataeans had a flair for the dramatic. Maybe the most epic moment of my life.


I'm standing in front of the treasury, la la la la la :):):) I've been to one of the wonders of the world, la la la la (well, two if you count the Great Wall of China. And then three, when we see Hagia Sophia in Turkey :))


With Alyssa and David. SO EPIC.



We started walking to go to the Monastery hike, and along the way were all of these ancient tombs carved out of rock! Way better than a graveyard, aye? The Nabataeans also used them as dwelling places...they just pushed the bones out of the tombs. I guess it works that way :)


My first encounter with a camel. I fell in love with this gangly creature. Look, it loves me too. It wanted to kiss me. But it also had a muzzle on, so maybe it was a carnivorous camel that wanted to eat my face. Either way, I thought it was precious and adorable and I loved it and I was SO EXCITED to see one so close :)


These are the stairs that the Nabataeans carved out of the solid rock. They're all weather worn and Bedouin worn...there were 843 rock stairs, with some hefty natural rock climbing required to get up to the Monastery. You can only get there by hiking up this large mountain and going all the way to the top where it is cut out. Man, I was so pumped for that hike, let me tell you. I was in such a good mood!! I was in flipping PETRA!!!!! Epicness was everywhere!! The history and heroism was making me high. :) We started the hike into the mountain, and I had so much energy I was like sprinting up all those steps and cliffs and boulders. I was singing and dancing and skipping and cracking jokes (which went unappreciated, unfortunately, because most people were huffin' and puffin', and nobody likes that one energetic crazy person :) ).



Look what I found in the ground. :) "That was right before everyone in the whole world realized that sardines...were SUPER GROSS." Best quote from "Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs". I was dying :)


Look at the colors in this rock!! The whole place was like that! It was like a giant watercolor painting. The colors and textures in the rock were incredible. The whole entire rainbow was on the walls :)


Just in Petra wearing a Petra shirt. Look at this incredible view! We were halfway to the Monastery right here. This place is so beautiful :)


Some of my fellow students were having a little trouble hiking and carrying backpacks with loads of stuff. Since I had unreasonable amounts of energy, I carried their stuff. So here is a pic of me being the camel of the group :) The backpack also rubbed against my belt, and my pants kept almost falling off :)


Another pretty view of the canyons that make up this gorgeous landscape!!

Just a little view of the coolest thing in Petra. It just blows my mind, these huge monuments carved into the rock. They’re silent giants in a land baked by the sun, where only camels and the occasional Bedouin pass through. Well, back in the day, of course. Nowadays tons of tourists (fit tourists, mind you. That hike was a doozy) come up and take their pictures and see it. But we got up there when there weren’t a lot of people, and so I definitely got a taste of the surreal quietness and incredible beauty of the place. I think the Nabataeans had the right idea—the most magnificent creations available to mankind are created by God in nature, and they utilized those creations in their own artwork. Man, it was so incredible.



I thought this victory pose was really cool, but all it really does is show off how many nutella chocolate pitas that I've eaten since I've been here. Oh well--camel belly and proud of it :)


 We made it up to the Monastery!! This was even cooler than the Treasury, because you had to exert tons of effort to reach it! Look at this beautiful and incredible place!! There's a Liahona on the top of the Monastery...;)


Just look at this place. You can't get enough of this view.


Contemplating the mysteries of the universe inside of the Monastery. I've always wanted to be a monk and dedicate my life to solitude and peace and thinking, but I think this is the closest I'll get. :)


I found a cave, and I always take Gollum pictures at caves. You know, I think Lord of the Rings is a universal language. The Bedouins probably understood what I was doing. 


Another little hike, and we were on top of the world!! You could see for hundreds of miles, 360 degree vision!! It was on top of this mountain that I shouted with all my might: "I LOVE DAN!!!" So now the whole world knows how I feel about him. Bucket list--check. 


I'm stuck on the monk and solitude thing. And the Bedouin/ Arabian headscarf is a nice touch, don't you think? Like 10 people copied my idea and I was stuck there for an extra 20 minutes, tying my scarf around people's heads :)


I was going to put this on the "For Dan" page, but I forgot :/ However, this is for Dan. Dan, this yellow and black rock reminded me of your bumblebee jacket, and of that lovely picture of you wearing it with your Mom while at Byrce Canyon. I see you in everything, honey bunches ;)


Michelle and I were very kind to some Bedouin women and paid them exorbitant amounts of money for these "authentic" turquoise and camel bone necklaces. Ha :) However, I feel good about supporting the Bedouin Survival Cause, and I love my necklace, so there is no problem to be found!


I died when I saw this opportunity for picture. It's too funny. Those columns were so epic, and then I pulled the "high school senior pictures" pose in front of them. I laughed so hard, I think this pose is absolutely ridiculous. Isn't this funny? Maybe only to me...


A dried riverbed running through Petra. Maybe I've been taking too much Old Testament as of late, because I thoroughly enjoy reenacting Old Testament stories. I am Moses, parting the Red Sea. Or I am Moses, holding up my arms to ensure the Israelite victory of the battle. You know. Cool Biblical stories.


The columns of this temple place were made out of giant circle stones, all set on top of each other. They look really cool all collapsed!


 A picture is worth a thousand words ;)



Rockin the Bedouin headdress. I think I'm going to bring this style back to Provo. Isn't it lovely?


We were walking off the stairs in front of the palace ruins when I saw a Bedouin man with three camels. I love the people here, they always try to sell you stuff. ALWAYS. “One dinar! Only one. I give you good price, you are first customer. Good price. One dinar!” He started shouting to us to get a camel ride for 20 dinars, which is crazy expensive. That’s like, $28 in American money. So I, being expert at bartering now, was like “Heck no!! I’ll do it for 10!” And he was like “Oh, you crazy! NO! 20 dinars, good price!” And then I was like, “Sorry, I’d do it for 10.” And then I started walking away, and he called after me “Fine okay okay! 10 dinars!” We worked out the logistics (riding from here to the Treasury) and then he made the camel sit down, and I GOT ON A CAMEL. THE CAMEL STOOD UP AND I ALMOST FELL OFF. AND THEN IT STARTED WALKING. AND THEN I WAS RIDING A CAMEL. AND THEN IT STARTED TROTTING AND I ALMOST FELL. OFF. I WAS RIDING A CAMEL. :) :) :) I just laughed hysterically the entire time, because I was SO EXCITED to be riding a camel!! I shouted hello to every single person I saw, even though we’re supposed to be quiet and not talk to men or tourists, but I was screaming hello and telling everybody that they should all ride camels, and lots of people were laughing and waving back to me. It was good to get some smiles on the faces of all those grumpy Europeans and Bedouins :) We rode the camels for like a MILE. It’s so epic, but painful. You gotta spread your legs really far, and it’s very bouncy. And when the camel starts to trot, you can totally fall off, because there isn’t a concave shape to fit your body into—you’re on a hump, and the only way to go is down. Which means off the camel. Anyway. That’s it. And they are awkward beasts with beautiful eyes and eyelashes :)



Alyssa and Katie riding a camel. I'm mostly impressed because I took this picture from a trotting camel, and it's a pretty epic picture, right?

Michelle got to ride a camel, too :)


Me riding a CAMEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Don't I look like an authentic Bedouin? I named my camel Susan. I think it may have been a boy, though. Oops :)


You know, not a big deal. Just on a camel in front of the Treasury. Pretty much one of the coolest experiences of my life up to this point. From left to right, Alyssa, Katie, Michelle, Me, Erica (notice her Indiana Jones hat)


Another picture in front of the Treasury, but this time you can see the entire Treasury. 
SO EPIC.


I bonded with camels on a very personal level while I was here. I love them so much. I want to have a pet camel someday, and I will ride it all around, and my children will grow up petting and riding camels. I love camels. I kissed a camel :)


This was for sale in the gift shop. Heh heh, pretending to be a fierce Philistine!! Alliteration, anyone?


My last view of the beautiful Treasury and Petra. I really felt sad when we left. This is definitely someplace that I want to visit again with my family!!!



Taste of the dramatic--please imagine LOTR Shire music playing as I take my last look at Petra. Legitimately, though, it was a really sad moment for me.


We like, went on a random tangent field trip on our way to Amman. This is the supposed to be the VERY ROCK that Moses split to get water for the Israelites. The spring is located to the left of the picture. Pretty cool what you can do with the Lord's priesthood, aye?


These are the Benches, the sweetest and most lovely couple. Dr. Bench is our JC physician, and his wife is awesome and is in charge of food :) Can you see why I love them? Anyway, I took this picture because they were sleeping on the bus, and they were holding hands. I want to be like this when I am old--I want to be madly in love with my husband when I'm old. I think it'll end up being that way ;)







No comments:

Post a Comment